The skilled surgeons in Winthrop-University Hospital’s Department of General Surgery on Long Island, NY have broad, extensive experience with a wide range of benign and malignant diseases and disorders that may require surgical treatment. These conditions affect many parts of the body including:
- Digestive Tract –all parts of the gastrointestinal tract including the esophagus, stomach, gall bladder, pancreas, spleen, liver, appendix, small intestine, colon and rectum
- Endocrine System – thyroid and adrenal glands
- Breast, Skin and Blood Vessels
Winthrop’s general surgery doctors have years of additional training in specialty areas such as Pediatric, Vascular, Critical Care and Endocrine surgery.
Advanced High-Definition Diagnostics
Our experienced general surgeons benefit from the latest diagnostic technology such as Winthrop’s new McCann Endoscopy Center. State-of-the-art technology combines endoscopy and ultrasound to better visualize the pancreas and other deep-seated organs and accurately diagnose and stage certain gastrointestinal cancers.
Regional Leaders in Minimally Invasive Procedures
Our general surgeons have performed thousands of operations using state-of-the-art minimally invasive surgical procedures:
- Laparoscopic technology has revolutionized abdominal surgery. For example, traditional gall bladder surgery involves making a large incision (5-8 inches) in the belly which cuts through more muscle and involves a longer recovery time.
By contrast, laparoscopic gall bladder surgery requires a few small incisions. A thin lighted tube (laparoscope) is inserted in one of the incisions, giving the general surgery doctor a clear inside view of the gall bladder. Surgical tools are inserted in another little incision to remove tissue samples for biopsy and/or remove the gallstones and gall bladder.
Patients benefit in many ways from laparoscopic procedures—less stress, trauma and pain; shorter hospital stays; less recovery time, and lower hospital bills.
- Robotic Surgery has transformed surgery for many types of conditions. Winthrop-University Hospital’s surgeons are leading the tri-state area in the number of robotic surgeries performed. Our state-of-the-science DaVinci Si HD Surgical System integrates 3-D high definition (HD) endoscopy with innovative robotic technology to virtually extend the surgeon’s eyes and hands into the surgical field. Even many of the most complex surgeries are now successfully performed robotically.
Collaboration of Specialists
Our general surgeons regularly collaborate with radiologists, oncologists, gastroenterologists and endocrinologists in the development of a personalized treatment plan for each patient that can restore quality of life and even save their life.
Leading General Surgeons in NYC Metro Area
In their 2014 “Best Hospitals” report which evaluated 5,000 hospitals nationwide, US News and World Report ranks Winthrop-University Hospital as a regional high performer in 12 specialties including Gastroenterology and Gastrointestinal Surgery.
Our acclaimed general surgery doctors on Long Island are sought-after speakers at medical conferences and are published in prestigious medical journals. For a complete list, please visit Winthrop General Surgery Doctors.