A Legacy of Generous Support
Founded in 1896, Winthrop-University Hospital was Long Island’s first voluntary not-for-profit Hospital. In 1924 the Hospital’s Auxiliary was established to stimulate the community’s interest in the work of the Hospital.
Winthrop’s Auxilians are a dedicated group of good neighbors who collectively support
the general welfare of the Hospital through their goodwill and fund-raising. The
Auxiliary takes great pride in the many accomplishments of the Twigs and the Wings
of Winthrop. Their advocacy for Winthrop, along with the financially support generated
by their successful events, are greatly appreciated by the Winthrop team and by the
patients and communities they serve.
Services such as the Hospital Gift Shop and baby photos are very successful fundraisers sponsored by the Winthrop Auxiliary. In addition, special events provide another source of income, as well as social and cultural opportunities for Auxiliary members and the entire Hospital family and surrounding communities.
The Auxiliary also promotes careers in the healthcare field through its sponsorship of
Winthrop’s Junior Volunteer Program. Scholarships are awarded annually to the
most deserving Junior Volunteers who wish to pursue a health-related occupation or
The Auxiliary and the many activities that they sponsor are a vital and cherished part of Winthrop-University Hospital and the communities it serves.