Shahidul Islam, MPH, CPH
Department of Biostatistics, 101 Mineola blvd, suite 3-041, Mineola, NY 11501
Mr. Islam is an American Statistical Association accredited professional statistician and a certified public health professional by the national board of public health examiner. He obtained his MPH degree in Biostatistics from the School of Health Sciences and Practice at New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY and BS in Computer Information Systems from CUNY Lehman College, Bronx, NY. He has worked at Montefiore Medical Center(MMC) for over 8 years as an integral part of a team building Clinical Looking Glass (CLG), a medical outcomes surveillance and quality improvement software system providing actionable health care metrics on longitudinal patterns of care generated from a data repository of clinical and administrative information. He provided training and consultation for physicians and researchers at MMC and Albert Einstein College of Medicine on how to formulate research questions, gather retrospective data using CLG systems and analyze different health outcomes. Mr. Islam serves as a consulting Biostatistician for Winthrop physicians and researchers and collaborates in a range of areas of medical research. He consults on many areas of research process including study design, power and sample size calculations, clinical data management, data analyses and manuscript preparation. He serves as a member and a biostatistical reviewer for the Winthrop Institutional Review Board. He also holds an adjunct faculty position at Adelphi University’s Master’s of Public Health program.
Description of Research Interests/Activities
Mr. Islam’s research Interests include clinical trial design, mixed effects modeling and survival analysis using health care data in the following areas of medicine:
Areas of Experience
Bone & Mineral Metabolism
1. Aloia JF, Mikhail M, Usera G, Dhaliwal R, Islam S. Trabecular bone score (TBS) in postmenopausal African American women. Osteoporosis International 2014.
2. Evans JF, Islam S, Urade Y, Eguchi N, Ragolia L. The lipocalin-type prostaglandin D2 synthase knockout mouse model of insulin resistance and obesity demonstrates early hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis hyperactivity. J Endocrinol 2013; 216:169-80.
3. Friedman DE, Islam S, Ettinger AB. Health-related quality of life among people with epilepsy with mild seizure-related head injuries. Epilepsy Behav 2013; 27:492-6.
4. Vintzileos AM, Carvajal J, Islam S. Challenges in the peer review of systematic reviews and meta-analyses. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2013; 26:768-71.
5. Aloia J, Dhaliwal R, Shieh A, Mikhail M, Islam S, Yeh J. Calcium and Vitamin D Supplementation in Postmenopausal Women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2013; Accepted August 28, 2013.
6. O'Donnell H, Trachtman R, Islam S, Racine A. Factors Associated with Timing of First Outpatient Visit after Newborn Hospital Discharge. Academic Pediatrics 2014;14(1):77-83.
7. Bellin E, Fletcher DD, Geberer N, Islam S, Srivastava N. Democratizing information creation from health care data for quality improvement, research, and education-the Montefiore Medical Center Experience. Acad Med 2010;85: 1362-8.
8. A. M. Hafiz, S. S. Naidu, J. Deleon, S. Islam, B. Alkhatib, M. Lorenz, A. D'Elia, B. Rosenthal and K. Marzo. Impact of first contact on symptom onset-to-door time in patients presenting for primary percutaneous coronary intervention. Am J Emerg Med 2013;31:922-7.
9. Lazarou G, Miller C, Gupta N, Islam S. Intraoperative Crede’s Maneuver for Tape Adjustment During Trans-Obturator Sling Placement – Does it Improve Continence? Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg 2013;19(6):369-73.
10. A. Cuna, L. Hakima, Y. A.Tseng, B.Fornier, S.Islam, M.L. Quintos-Alagheband, P.Khular, B. Weinberger and N. Hanna. Clinical dilemma of positive histologic chorioamnionitis in term newborn. Front Pediatr 2014;2:27
11. Schneider JG FN, Sivapiragasam A, Geller M, Islam S, Selbs E. Commercial Laboratory Testing of Excision Repair Cross-Complementation Group 1 Expression in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Oncologist 2014(In press).
12. Todd J. Cohen MD, Wilbur J. Asheld, D.O., Joseph Germano, D.O., Shahidul Islam, MPH, and Dhimesh Patel, M.D A Comparative Study of Defibrillator Leads at a Large Volume Implanting Hospital: Results from the Pacemaker and Implantable Defibrillator Leads Survival Study (“PAIDLESS”). Journal of Invasive Cardiology 2014(In press).
13. Hines GL, DeCrosta D, Kantaria S, Cary C, Islam S. Postendarterectomy Cerebral Hyperperfusion Syndrome: The Etiological Significance of “Cerebral Reserve”. International Journal of Angiology 2014.
14. Lester PE, Rios-Rojas L, Islam S, Fazzari MJ, Gomolin IH. Impact of Computerized Physician Order Entry Alerts on Prescribing in Older Patients. Drugs and Aging 2015.