Mageda Mikhail, MD
Attending Physician Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine
Associate Director, Bone Mineral Research Center at Winthrop University Hospital.
Academic Faculty Appointments
Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine at SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine
1300 Franklin Avenue, suite ML6, Garden City, NY 11530
Board Certified Internal Medicine and Endocrinology.
Internal Medicine Residency at Catholic Medical Center of Brooklyn and Queens.
Followed by Fellowship of Endocrinology and Metabolism at Winthrop University Hospital.
Attending Physician at Winthrop University Hospital since 1996.
Active role as an Endocrinologist treating patients with diabetes, thyroid disease and different endocrine diseases.
Active role in teaching Medical Residents and Endocrine Fellows.
Active role as a researcher and Assoiciate Director of the Bone Mineral Research Center.
Academic appointment of Assistant professor of Clinical Medicine at SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine.
Member of the Endocrine Society and American Society of Bone and Mineral Research.
Description of Research Interests/Activities
Active Role in Research
Subinvestigator at clinical trials
Subinvestigator in ongoing IRB approved studies.
1. The Vitamin D response curve in obesity
2. The interaction between calcium and Vitamin D intake in post menopausal women.
3. Vitamin D and Osteoporosis prevention in elderly African American Women, NIH Grant.
Interested in clinical endocrinology and treating patients with different varieties of hormonal disorders.
Interested in treating patients with osteoporosis and metabolic bone disease.
Areas of Experience
Bone & Mineral Metabolism
Research Team Members
John Aloia, MD, Director of Bone Mineral Research Center
Jane Moore, RN, Study Coordinator
Sharon Sprintz, BSRT, LRT, CDT, Densitometry Technician
1. Pankaj Patel, Mageda B. Mikhail. Vitamin K Deficiency e-Medicine.
2. Mageda Mikhail, Ashok N. Vaswani, John F. Aloia. Racial Differences in Femoral Dimensions and its Relationship to Hip Fracture. Osteoporosis Int. Col. 6 No. 1, 1996, Pages 22-24
3. John F. Aloia, Mageda B. Mikhail,.Cathy Delmere Pagan, Annapoorna Arunchalam, James Yeh, Edith Flaster. Biochemical and hormonal Variables in Black and White Women Matched for Age and Weight. J. Lab Clin. Med. Vol 132, No. 5, 1998, pages 383-389.
4. Mageda B. Mikhail, Edith R. Flaster, John F. Aloia. Stiffness in Discrimination of Patients with Vertebral Fractures. Osteoporosis, Int. (1999) 9:24-28.
5. John F Aloia, Ashok N Vaswani, Mageda B. Mikhail, Mohammed Badshah, Edith Flaster. Cancellous Bone of the Spine is Greater in Black Women. Calcified Tissue Int. (1999) 65:29-33.
6. John F. Aloia, Ashok N. Vaswani, Mageda B. Mikhail, Edith Flaster. Body Composition by Dual Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry in Black Compared to White Women. Osteoporosis Int. (1999) 10:114-119
7. Steven Tollin, Gisele Mery, Nazamin Jelveh, S Perlmutter, E.F. Fallon, M. Mikhail, W. Blumfeld, J. Aloia. The use of Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy Under Ultrasound guidance to assess the Risk of Malignancy in Patients with a Multinodular Goiter.Thyroid. Volume 10, No. 3 (2000), Pages 235-241.
8. Stence R Tollin, Edmund F. Fallon, Mageda B. Mikhail, Howard Goldstein, Elizabeth Yung. The Utility of Thyroid Nuclear Imagining and Other Studies in the Detection and Treatment of Underlying Thyroid Abnormalities in Patients with Endogenous Subclinical Thyrotoxicsis. Clin Nuclear Med Vol. 25, No. 5 (2000), Pages 341-347.
9. Aloia, JF. Patel M, DiMaano R, Li-Ng M, Talwar S, Mikhail M, Pollack S, Yeh J. Vitamin D intake to attain a desired serum 25-hydeoxyvitamin D concentration. AM J Clin Nutr, 2008; (6):1952-1958.
10. Li-Ng M, Aloia JF, Pollack S, Cunha BA, Mikhail M, Yeh J, Berbari N. Randomized Controlled Trial of Vitamin D3 Supplementation for the Prevention of Viral Upper Respiratory Tract Infections. Epidermiol Infect, 2009: 1-9.
11. AloiaJ, Bojadzievski T, Yusupov E, Shahzad G, Pollack S, Mikhail M. Yeh, J. The Relative Influence of calcium Intake and Vitamin D Status on Serum PTH and Bone Turnover Biomarkers in a Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Parallel Group, Longitudinal Factorial Design. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, July 2010.
12. Yusupov E, Li-Ng M, Pollack S, Yeh J, Mikhail M, and Aloia J. Vitamin D and Serum Cytokines in a Randomized Clinical Trial. International Journal of Endocrinology. 2010