Joshua De Leon, MD
Director of Cardiovascular Training Program Division of Cardiology; Director of Nuclear Cardiology
Academic Faculty Appointments
Associate Professor of Medicine SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine
120 Mineola Blvd., Suite 500 Mineola New York,11501
120 Mineola Blvd., Suite 500 Mineola New York,11501
Director Coronary Care Unit, Winthrop University Hospital 1999-2010
Director Cardiovascular Fellowship Training Program, Winthrop University Hospital 2002-Present
Acting Director Echocardiography Laboratory, Winthrop University Hospital 2002-2003
Attending Cardiologist, Winthrop University Hospital 1999-Present
Albert Einstein College of Medicine Montefiore Medical Center, Chief Fellow Clinical Cardiology
Albert Einstein College of Medicine Montefiore Medical Center, Clinical and Molecular Cardiology Fellowship 1991-1994
Albert Einstein College of Medicine Department of Molecular Genetics, Research Fellowship 1991-1993
Albert Einstein College of Medicine Bronx Municipal Hospital Center, Internal Medicine Internship and Residency 1988-1991
Description of Research Interests/Activities
Molecular Biology of Cardiovascular Disease and Endothelial Function
Basic Science of Inflammation in Cardiovascular System
Biomarkers and Genetics/Potential Clinical Utility in Risk Assessment for Cardiovascular Disease
Principal/Sub-Investigator Sponsored Clinical Trials:
TRITON TIMI 38 SUB-I
MERLIN TIMI-36 SUB -I
AMISATD II Co-Principal
Principal Investigator Investigator Initiated -Research
Neopterin In Acute Coronary Syndromes
Areas of Experience
Research Team Members
Cardiology Fellows: Dave Bartov MD, Bhavna Suri MD, Adam Davis DO,Ron Slash MD, Jose Tavernas MD,
PGY 3 Medical Residents: Basil Alkatib MD, Miguel Lorenz MD
Program Director Women's Cardiovascular and Wellness Center: Barbara Geoerge, Ed.D,MSN,RN
At Winthrop since 2005, Dr. George is responsible for managing all components of the Women’s Cardiovascular Wellness & Prevention Center at Winthrop, as well as coordinating the Division of Cardiology’s Clinical Research Program. Her post-graduate training includes a Doctorate in Education in Applied Exercise Physiology from Columbia University’s Teachers College and an MSN from the Columbia University School of Nursing, where she also completed a BSN. She received her nursing diploma from St. Vincent's Hospital School of Nursing. Dr. George serves as Principal Investigator and Sub-Investigator on several sponsor and investigator-initiated clinical trials including 2 investigator initiated studies related to employee wellness (WELLNESS, PEP-RALI ).
Clinical Practice and Interests
Advanced Cardiac Imagery
Trearment of Acute Coronary Syndromes
Management of Pulmonary Hypertension in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease
1. A.F. Tramontano, R. Lyubarova, J Tsiakos, T. Palaia, J.R. De Leon, and L. Ragolia 2010 Circulating Endothelial Microparticles in Diabetes Mellitus. Mediators of Inflammation. Volume 2010, Article ID250476.
2. Johnson,D., Gagos,M., Shenouda,D., Davis-Lorton,M., De Leon, J., Alterations in Serum Neopterin Correlate with Thrombolysis in Myocardial Infarction Risk Scores in Acute Coronary Syndromes. 2006 Coronary Artery Disease SRP:17(6) 511-16.
3. Dengas, G., King, J., De Leon, J., Sharma S., Vidhun R., Feldman, D., Stoyno, M., Badimon, J.J., and Ambrose, J. (1999) Effects of Platelet Glycoprotein IIbIIIa Inhibition with Abciximab on Thrombin Generation and Activity During Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. American Heart J., VOL. 138, NO 1 (Part 1), JUL 49-54.
4. Ben -ZUR, U.M., Platt, S.B., Gross, J.N., Kim, J.S., De Leon, J., Gugachev, P., and Furman, S., (1994) Direct and Telemetered Lead Impedance. PACE, Vol. 17 Part II, Nov., 2004-2007.
5. De Leon, J., Federoff, H.J., Dickson, D.W., Vikstrom, K. L., and Fishman, G.I. ( 1994) Cardiac and Skeletal Myopathy In Beta Myosin Heavy-chain Simian Virus 40 Transgenic Mice. Proc. Natl.Acad.Sci. USA, Vol.91, Jan., 519-523.
6. De Leon, J., Vikstrom, K.L., Dickson, D., Federoff, H.J., and Fishman, G.I. (1993b) Cardiac and Skeletal Myopathy in Beta-Myosin Heavy Chain-tsA58 Transgenic Mice. Circ.88:1502, pp.I-281.
7. De Leon., J., Leinwand, L.,and Fishman, G. I., (1991) Transcriptional Regulation of the Human Connexin43 Gene.Circ. 84(4), ppII-387.
1.Kerwin, T., Lo, R., D'Anca, M., De Leon, J. (2007) Adherence to the American College of Cardiology/American Society of Nuclear Cardiology Appropriateness Criteria for Single-Photon Emission Computed Tomography Myocardial Perfusion Imaging. JACC49:9 155A.
2.Tramontano, A.F., O'Leary, J. Virland, D.M., Lyubarova, R., Palaia, T., Reddy, K.R., De Leon, J., Ragolia, L. (2006) Endothelial Microparticles: A Novel Marker for Endothelial Dysfunction in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus.Supp Circ.114(18) Oct. pp142.
3. Johnston, D.T., Raio, N., Gagos, M., Ragolia, L., Shenouda, D., Marzo, K., Davis-Lorton, M., De Leon, J.,(2005) Effects of Standard Treatment of Acute Coronary Syndromes on Macrophage Activity as Measured by Serum Neopterin. J Allergy Clinical Immunology 115(2),S19.
4.Gagos, M., Johnston, D.T., Raio, N., Shenouda, D., Ragolia, R., Marzo, K., Davis-Lorton, M., DeLeon, J., (2005) Correlation of Serum Neopterin Levels with Admission TIMI Risk Scores in Patients with Acute Coronary Syndromes. JACC 45(3) Supplement A. 217A.
5.Wand, S., De Leon, J., Daggubati, R., et al., (2004) Evaluation of Cholesterol Lowering Therapy in Patients Hospitalized for Acute Myocardial Infarction. Program for the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting 39 (DEC).
6. Reddy, N., Smith, R.H., Scott, W.C., De Leon, J., and Lazar, J. M., (1999) Does Preoperative Echocardiography Predict Outcome in Octogenerians Undergoing Cardiac Surgery? Chest 116 (4) Supplement 2, pp.362s-363s.
7. Hsu, H., Rozental, R., De Leon, J., Fishman, G., Hertzberg, E., and Spray, D. (1993a) Gap Junctional Properties for a Cell Line from Mammalian Heart. Mol. Biol. Cell 4: 332 A.