Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) is mandated by the Federal Animal Welfare Act. Its function is to oversee and evaluate all aspects of Winthrop University Hospital�s Animal Care and Use Program by:
- Reviewing at least once every six months the *Institution�s program for humane care and use of animals and inspecting at least once every six months the Institution�s facility using the Guide for the Care and Use of Animals (The Guide) and Animal Welfare Act (AWA) 9 CRF, Chapter 1, Subchapter A as a basis for evaluation.
- Preparing reports of the IACUC evaluations as required by the AWA and Public Health Service (PHS) Policy on Humane Care and Treatment of Laboratory Animals and submit these reports to the Institutional Official (IO). The reports must contain description of the nature and extent of the Institution�s adherence to The Guide, AWA 9 CRF, Subchapter A and PHS Policy and identifying specifically any departures and the reasons from the departures. The reports must distinguish significant deficiencies from minor deficiencies, and contain a reasonable and specific plan for correcting each deficiency.
- Reviewing concerns involving the care and use of animals at the Institution.
- Making recommendations to the IO.
- Reviewing and approving required modifications or in withholding of approval of the use of animals.
- Suspending, as appropriate, an activity involving animals in accordance with specifications in the PHS Policy or USDA regulations.
Institutional Official (IO)
The IACUC reports directly to the Institutional Official (IO), who appoints all new members. Under the Animal Welfare Regulations (AWR) and the PHS Policy the Institution must have a designated IO hose role is to allocate organization resources needed to maintain a well-functioning animal care and use program, based on the recommendation received from the IACUC, veterinarians and animal care administrative staff.
The IO defines and assigns responsibilities and reporting channels for essential program elements such as personnel training, occupational health and safety program and proper maintenance of the facility.
* Institution = Winthrop University Hospital Comparative Medicine Division