Revolutionary Radiation Oncology Treatment Technology
At the Forefront of Cancer Care
One of the most advanced treatment centers of its kind, NYU Winthrop’s Radiation Oncology Center is a state-of-the-art facility dedicated to providing adult and pediatric cancer patients with targeted, powerful radiation therapy for a wide range of cancers.
Superior Radiation Oncology Treatment, For the Best Outcomes
Our Radiation Oncology Center is equipped with the most sophisticated, highly accurate computerized radiation treatment planning and delivery systems. This allows our oncology specialists to treat patients with a remarkable level of control, and gives our doctors the ability to customize the intensity of radiation beams to a tumor’s specific size and shape. Meanwhile, healthy surrounding tissue is spared.
- ACQSIM CT Simulator – The most advanced 3-D simulation system that has set the standard for radiotherapy planning. It enables physicians to reconstruct 3-D images of the tumor and surrounding sites in order to determine its exact size and location in relation to healthy tissue. The data is seamlessly transmitted to the linear accelerator through the advanced computer-based planning system, allowing for the most accurate delivery of radiation for each patient.
- CyberKnife® Radiosurgery – CyberKnife® Radiosurgery is completely non-invasive and has transformed radiosurgeries of the brain, spine and soft-tissue (lungs, liver, pancreas and kidneys) into painless, bloodless outpatient procedures. Patients who undergo Cyberknife treatment typically resume normal activities soon after the procedure.
- High-Dose and Low-Dose Brachytherapy - Radioactive seed implantation, or brachytherapy, is provided for treatment of prostate and gynecological cancers, as well as tumors of the head and neck, stomach and lungs. Using advanced computerized technology, NYU Winthrop’s radiation oncology treatment team plans the placement of the seeds to achieve maximum therapeutic impact.
- IGRT (Image Guided Radiation Therapy) - NYU Winthrop now has the Varian Truebeam Linear Accelerator. This technology enables the patient to be imaged prior to each treatment with adjustments being made to ensure that every treatment is accurate to within millimeters. This is the most advanced conventional linear accelerator available to treat radiation oncology patients.
- IMRT (Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy) - With IMRT, radiation is broken up into thousands of thin beams that can enter the body at different angles to penetrate the tumor. IMRT uses very sophisticated computer hardware and software that enables radiation oncologists to sculpt the beams to the three-dimensional shape of the tumor and vary the radiation dose within a single beam. This allows for the delivery of higher, more effective doses to the tumor while minimizing radiation exposure of surrounding normal tissue.
- Linear Accelerator (Based External Beam Radiation) - NYU Winthrop’s three linear accelerators are capable of delivering a wide variety of radiation energies, depending on individual patient needs. The Clinac® 21EX Platinum accelerator can be pre-programmed to conform to the exact shape and size of the tumor site for specific areas of the body, eliminating the risk of irradiating normal tissue. The high-powered linear accelerator provides the prescribed dose of radiation oncology treatment in approximately 30 seconds, allowing for speedy and short patient-treatment sessions.
- Pediatric Radiation - Pediatric radiation oncologists are skilled in treating childhood cancers with radiation doses very different from those used for adults. They always consider their patient's future, designing treatment plans not only for their young patients at the time of diagnosis, but also tailoring the plans to reduce the burden of long-term serious side effects.