Radiation Oncology Center at Winthrop University Hospital Cancer Center
At the Forefront of Cancer Care
One of the most advanced treatment centers of its kind, Winthrop’s Radiation Oncology Center is a state-of-the-art facility dedicated to providing adult and pediatric cancer patients with targeted, powerful radiation therapy for a wide range of cancers.
Revolutionary Treatment Technology
Our Radiation Oncology Center is equipped with the most sophisticated, highly accurate computerized radiation treatment planning and delivery systems. This allows our oncology specialists to treat patients with a remarkable level of control, and gives our doctors the ability to customize the intensity of radiation beams to a tumor’s specific size and shape.
Our Radiation Oncology Team
Winthrop’s multidisciplinary team approach involves collaboration with the Cancer Center’s surgical oncologists, medical oncologists, and gynecologic oncologists. Our staff includes:
- Radiation Oncologists - Board Certified specialists in oncology and radiation therapy, who prescribe the radiation dose and number of treatments, and oversee patients’ treatments.
- Oncology Nurses – Registered nurses with advanced training in oncology, who co-manage patients.
- Physicists – Specialists with extensive training in physics, they are experts in measuring radiation and are responsible for the overall accuracy and safety of treatments.
- Dosimetrists – Experts in radiation oncology treatment procedures. They assist with treatment planning and optimizing the size, shape and arrangement of the area to receive the radiation dose.
- Radiation Therapists – Skilled in administering daily radiation treatments, they participate in the planning and simulation processes, provide care during treatment sessions and are responsible for the safe and accurate operation of the high-tech equipment.
Together, our staff’s mission is to provide each patient with expert, individualized radiation therapy plans highlighted by compassion and understanding.
While undergoing radiation therapy, each of our patients is carefully and constantly monitored by our physicists and physicians. Communication through closed-circuit television and intercom provide our patients with a sense of comfort and guidance during their procedures.
Conditions Treated at the Radiation Oncology Center
- Bladder Cancer
- Brain Cancers
- Breast Cancer
- Childhood Cancers
- Colorectal/Gastrointestinal Cancer
- Esophageal Cancer
- Head and Neck Cancer
- Gynecologic Cancers (Women’s Cancers)
- Lung Cancer
- Multiple Myeloma
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcomas
- Spine Tumors
- Stomach Cancer
- Thoracic Cancer