Rounds and Conferences
Daily teaching rounds are the mainstay of resident education. Interactive, multidisciplinary teaching rounds are led by senior residents. Rounds are supervised by experienced faculty and enriched by a diversity of subspecialist input.
Our Pediatric Radiologists discuss the imaging studies performed in the last 24 hours. The focus is on understanding the rationale behind ordering radiologic studies and interpretation of radiographs of pediatric disorders.
Residents present interesting cases from the Inpatient Unit and PICU. Sessions are run by senior residents under faculty supervision. Interns and medical students learn to progress through a process of history taking, building a differential diagnosis, selecting appropriate tests and procedures, and finally discussing management of these cases, thereby building strong clinical foundations.
- Block Conference: Three hours of block conferences every Tuesday after Pediatric Grand Rounds. High quality, interactive teaching sessions delivered by both Winthrop faculty and visiting professors in topics ranging from general pediatrics to pediatric specialties.
- Grand Rounds: Weekly academic conference is delivered by local and national and experts on a wide range of pediatric topics.
- Pediatric Board Review: Interactive board review sessions conducted by the Pediatric Chief Residents.
- Journal Club: Residents learn how to read and critically appraise the current literature
- Patient Safety and Medical Errors: Through series of lectures and workshops, we have successfully implemented this ACGME mandated curriculum. Our residents now feel comfortable in dealing with medical errors and near misses, and are championing our move towards providing “best practice” care to our patients.
- Neonatal-Obstetrics Joint Conference: Morbidity and Mortality joint conference with Obstetricians and Neonatologists, where interesting cases are discussed.
- Mock Codes: Scheduled mock codes take place in the PICU, NICU, ER, Inpatient Unit, and Simulation Center. These training sessions simulate real-life experiences with life-threatening emergencies.
- Multidisciplinary Conference: One of the resident’s favorite conferences! Residents select a case involving multiple subspecialties. The subspecialists are invited to join an engaging discussion regarding the management of the patient.
- Dean’s Conference: Interactive discussion of a clinical topic with our Associate Dean of Undergraduate Medical Education.
- Tumor Board: Case-based presentation of a patient admitted to the Pediatric Hematology-Oncology Service.