Pediatric Diabetes Center
Diabetes has become one of the most common and serious conditions in children. The NYU Winthrop Pediatric Diabetes Program, which includes comprehensive diabetes education and insulin pump and sensor training, has helped thousands of young people to manage their diabetes.
The Pediatric Diabetes Center at NYU Winthrop is committed to providing quality and caring treatment to children, adolescents, and young adults with diabetes, helping them achieve and maintain optimal blood glucose control and minimize or prevent complications.
Our clinical and educational staff address the needs not only of the patient, but also of their family and the community. Care is customized to suit each child, teen or young adult’s lifestyle to empower them and their family to participate fully and effectively in treatment and lifestyle decisions.
A Nationally Recognized Pediatric Diabetes Center
The Pediatric Diabetes Center at NYU Winthrop has been nationally recognized since 2002 by the American Diabetes Association for quality education and treatment of children, adolescents, and young adults with diabetes.
The Center has also been recognized as a Center of Excellence by U.S. News & World Report’s 2017-18 Best Children’s Hospital rankings for excellence in the Pediatric Diabetes and Endocrinology specialty. The Center is part of the Hospital’s Department of Pediatrics, Division of Endocrinology/Metabolism.
We are committed to quality patient care; education and support of young people, families, and communities; and research into the causes and treatment of diabetes. Research in the field of diabetes is essential for the promotion of health and the search for the cure.
The Pediatric Diabetes Center is actively involved in international, national, and local research protocols designed to improve the lives of people with diabetes.
For Patients and Families
- Medical care by pediatric diabetes specialists
- Individualized care to meet the needs of each child and their family
- Age appropriate education in accordance with American Diabetes Association national standards
- Education of siblings, relatives, and caregivers so that they achieve a level of comfort when caring for the child with diabetes
- 24 hour on-call assistance for support and information
- Consultations with expert NYU Winthrop pediatric subspecialists who work with the diabetes team
- One of the largest and innovative insulin pump and sensor programs in the area
- High quality diagnostic capabilities
- Nutrition counseling
- Customized exercise programs
- Involvement in research protocols
For the Community
The Jerry Vogel Pediatric Diabetes Outreach Program
- Conferences for health professionals and the community on latest trends in diabetes education, treatment and research
- Healthy KIDS Program, a program designed for overweight and obese children and adolescents and their families
- Education for schools, day care centers, preschools and camps to provide a safe environment for a diabetic child
- Support groups for all ages including our unique teen program, young adult program, and programs for parents, siblings and grandparents
- Community conferences and lectures as well as an informative newsletter
The NYU Winthrop Team
The professionals at NYU Winthrop’s Pediatric Diabetes Center understand that a team approach is necessary to effectively deal with life events that a young person with diabetes encounters on a daily basis.
The NYU Winthrop team includes:
- Board Certified Pediatric Endocrinologist
- Nurses with advanced and specialized training in diabetes
- Certified Diabetes Educators
- Registered Nutritionists with specialized education and training in diabetes nutrition
- Certified insulin pump trainers
- Psychologists, Exercise Physiologists, and Social Workers