General Obstetrics and Gynecology (OBGYN)
Winthrop's Division of General Obstetrics and Gynecology (OBGYN) is a regional leader in state-of-the-art OBGYN preventive, diagnostic and treatment services for women of all ages on Long Island. Our OBGYN doctors are proud of our strong partnership with Long Island’s medical community.
Award-Winning OBGYN Services
U.S. News & World Report’s definitive “Best Hospitals” annual report has recognized Winthrop-University Hospital as one of the “Best Regional Hospitals” for Gynecology in 2013 and 2014. Over 5,000 U.S. hospitals nationwide were surveyed.
Health Grades, a leading independent source of physician information and hospital quality ratings, has named Winthrop-University Hospital a recipient of both the Gynecologic Surgery Excellence Award and the Health Grades Maternity Care Excellence Award. Health Grades’ report found that women who undergo gynecologic surgery at five-star rated hospitals experience 35% fewer complications.
Leaders in Minimally Invasive OBGYN Surgery
Winthrop’s OBGYN doctors perform at the leading edge of advanced, minimally invasive surgical approaches such as laparascopy, robotic and vaginal procedures. But for complex hysterectomies and other gynecologic procedures, robot-assisted surgery with the ground-breaking Da Vinci® Surgical System may be the most effective, least invasive treatment option.
By accessing the surgery site through tiny incisions, surgeons are able to operate robotically with greater precision and control. The many benefits for patients include less blood loss and trauma, less pain, faster recovery and excellent clinical outcomes.
OBGYN Information and Community Outreach
“Baby Basics” is one example of the many ways Winthrop-University Hospital provides important OBGYN information and outreach programs to our community. Winthrop Women’s Wellness OB GYN is Nassau County’s pilot program for Baby Basics under the “What to Expect When Expecting” Foundation.
Our goals are to empower and educate underserved patients with pre-natal materials, home care referrals and social work counseling, as well to improve communications between different cultures and our healthcare providers and educators.
Through Winthrop’s New Life Center for labor and delivery, expectant parents receive OBGYN information through participation in childbirth preparation classes and many other classes that teach parents how to care for their babies.
OBGYN Research Studies
Winthrop-University Hospital’s OBGYN doctors excel in advanced research studies and clinical trials on a variety of important subjects. For example, our Gynecologic Oncology physicians participate in Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG) studies and oversee NCI-funded trials for patients with gynecologic cancers.
Winthrop’s OBGYN Doctors Excel in Six Specialties
Winthrop's highly skilled obstetricians and gynecologists, sub-specialists, specialized nurses, physician assistants, Maternal-Fetal Medicine fellows and OB/GYN residents provide patients and their primary care physicians with a wide range of sophisticated services, including access to consistently outstanding patient care.
- General Obstetrics and Gynecology – Preventive and diagnostic care to women of all ages.
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine – Comprehensive program for the assessment and care of the high-risk mother and fetus.
- Gynecologic Oncology – Specialized care for cervical and ovarian cancers
- Urogynecology and Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery – Advanced diagnostics and treatments for urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse
- Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility – Problem-solving guidance about infertility and methods for improving chances of becoming pregnant
- Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery – Minimally invasive techniques that improve patients’ surgery experiences and outcomes
- Fetal Surgery – a broad range of surgical techniques used by our fetal surgeon-specialists to treat birth defects in fetuses prior to childbirth.