“MANAGING LEGAL & EMPLOYMENT CONCERNS WHILE COPING WITH BREAST CANCER” – FREE WORKSHOP
Mineola, NY – Winthrop-University Hospital’s Breast Health Center is offering a free, unique workshop for breast cancer patients and caregivers regarding legal issues that may arise during and after treatment. The workshop will be held on Tuesday, March 29 from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm in the Martin Spatz Conference Center Room A, located in the Hospital at 259 First Street in Mineola.
Denise Snow, JD, RN, CNM, NP, an attorney with Nassau/Suffolk Law Services in the Permanency Legal Assistance Needs (PLAN) Project – a grant funded program that provides free legal assistance to Long Islanders with cancer – will discuss a variety of legal issues that breast cancer patients may face, including:
• when, how and what to say to an employer requesting time off for treatment;
• how to request and best utilize the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) if you are in treatment or caring for someone in treatment;
• resources to help with medical advocacy for patients who are or will be in the Medicare donut whole;
• applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability (SSD);
• and permanency planning for patients who have small children.
At Winthrop’s Breast Health Center, a multidisciplinary team of Board certified physicians and specialists provide comprehensive risk assessment, diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care to patients. The team specializes in the evaluation and treatment of all types of breast conditions including benign and malignant breast tumors, breast pain, suspicious and abnormal mammograms, previous breast cancer diagnosis or positive biopsy, and BRCA1 or BRCA2 genetic mutations. In addition, patients have access to comprehensive support services, conducted by a licensed breast cancer social worker who provides counseling and assistance to breast cancer patients and their families.
Seating is limited and pre-registration is required. To register, contact Alisha Ellis, LMSW, at (516) 663-2556. # # #