SENATOR FUSCHILLO & LOCAL LABOR ORGANIZATIONS VISIT WINTHROP-UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL TO “EXTEND THE HOLIDAYS” FOR PEDIATRIC PATIENTS
Mineola, NY – To help bring cheer to children in Winthrop-University Hospital’s Hagedorn Pediatric Inpatient Center, New York State Senator Charles J. Fuschillo, Jr. (8th Senate District) delivered over 1,000 toys collected through his annual “Extend the Holidays” toy drive. Representatives from the Nassau County Sheriff Officer’s Association, Laborers Local 66, and Laborers Local Number 1298, all of whom participated in the program, joined Senator Fuschillo in delivering the toys to the hospital.
New York State Senator Charles J. Fuschillo, Jr. (third from right) and his wife, Ellen (center) join staff from Winthrop-University Hospital (l.-r.) Imogene Harrington and Kim Krupa, Certified Child Life Specialists (CCLS); Nicole Almeida, MS, CCLS, Director of the Child Life Program; Warren Rosenfeld, MD, Chairman of the Department of Pediatrics; and John P. Broder, Vice President for External Affairs and Development, to thank all of the local schools, unions and residents who participated in the Senator’s annual “Extend the Holidays” toy drive.
Senator Charles J. Fuschillo, Jr. helps patients pick out their favorite toys from the enormous collection that was gathered during the Senator’s annual “Extend the Holidays” toy drive.
“Extend the Holidays” is an annual toy drive Senator Fuschillo organizes for the benefit of children in Winthrop’s Pediatric Unit. The toys collected through the program are delivered after the holiday season, so that children can experience the joys of receiving a holiday gift throughout the year.
“As a child, receiving the gift of a new toy is one of the best feelings during the holiday season. We want to make sure that children in the hospital, who are going through tough times, can experience this type of holiday cheer throughout the year,” said Senator Fuschillo. “The many toys that were donated by schools, unions and local residents will help put smiles on the faces of many children. Everyone who participated in this program should be very proud of their efforts.”
The following labor unions and schools helped Senator Fuschillo collect toys for the “Extend the Holidays” program:
- Atkinson Elementary School (Freeport School District)
- Berner Middle School (Massapequa School District)
- Birch Elementary School (Merrick School District)
- Bower Elementary School (Lindenhurst School District)
- Chatterton Elementary School (Merrick School District)
- East Lake Elementary School (Massapequa School District)
- Fayette Elementary School (North Merrick School District)
- Forest Lake Elementary School (Wantagh School District)
- Laborers Local Number 66
- Laborers Local Number 1298
- Lockhart Elementary School (Massapequa School District)
- McKenna Elementary School (Massapequa School District)
- Mepham High School (Bellmore-Merrick Central High School District)
- Nassau County Sheriff Officer’s Association
-Old Mill Road Elementary School (North Merrick School District)
- Park Avenue Elementary School (North Bellmore School District)
- St. Rose of Lima School (Massapequa)
“We are continually amazed each year by the tremendous outpouring of community support we receive each year through Senator Fuschillo’s ‘Extend the Holidays’ program. This is a wonderful tradition which brings tremendous joy to many children and their families each year. On behalf of Winthrop’s administration and staff, and the parents of our young patients, we thank Senator Fuschillo for continuing this program,” said John Broder, Vice President for External Affairs and Development at Winthrop-University Hospital.# # #