Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery
Winthrop-University Hospital on Long Island is a regional leader in Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery, providing women with the many advantages of the most advanced gynecologic surgery techniques including:
- Reduced post-operative pain
- Less wound complications
- Shorter hospital stays
- Faster recovery and return to normal activities
- Superior cosmetic results due to smaller abdominal and/or vaginal incisions.
Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery Techniques
Our gynecologic surgeons have unparalleled expertise in the most sophisticated and successful methods on the market today including:
- Robotic surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Vaginal surgery
Our accomplished surgeons treat a variety of benign and malignant gynecologic conditions ranging from hysterectomies to pelvic reconstructive surgery, while producing the best surgical experiences and outcomes for our patients. Female pelvic diseases that may be treated with minimally invasive gynecologic surgery include:
- Uterine fibroid tumors
- Pelvic adhesions
- Menstrual disorders and abnormal uterine bleeding
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Benign ovarian cysts and tumors
- Cervical, uterine, fallopian tube and ovarian cancers
Award-Winning Gynecologic Surgery
U.S. News & World Report’s definitive “Best Hospitals” annual report has recognized Winthrop-University Hospital as one of the “Best Regional Hospitals” for Gynecology in 2013 and 2014. Over 5,000 U.S. hospitals nationwide were surveyed.
Winthrop has also received both the Gynecologic Surgery Excellence Award and the Maternity Care Excellence Award from Health Grades, a leading independent source of physician information and hospital quality ratings. Health Grades’ report found that women who undergo gynecologic surgery at five-star rated hospitals experience 35% fewer complications.
In addition to excellent patient care, the Division of Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery is dedicated to on-going research and education of gynecologic residents and fellows as well as practicing gynecologists.
Leading the Way in Gynecologic Surgery Education & Research
As a teaching hospital, Winthrop University Hospital’s prominent gynecologic surgeons teach leading-edge surgical techniques to the next generation of gynecologic surgeons. Our regionally acclaimed hospital attracts the nation’s top echelon of medical students who are eager to experience the high-caliber teaching, research and patient care that takes place daily at our institution.
Education of gynecologic residents and fellows, as well as practicing gynecologists, is carried out in high-tech laboratory and operating room settings that feature:
- Dual Robotic Console – Winthrop is one of the first hospitals in the Northeast United States to have the Da Vinci Robotic Surgery System’s dual robotic console in its operating suite. The second console allows surgeons new to robotic surgery to directly observe a trained surgeon operate and eventually operate themselves under the direct supervision of a surgeon mentor.
- Gynecologic Training Lab – Residents and practicing gynecologists learn and practice basic and advanced techniques of minimally invasive gynecologic surgery under the simulated conditions in our training lab prior to using the techniques in the operating room.
- Research Projects – Our division is involved in numerous clinical and laboratory research projects. The results of this research are shared with other members of the profession through presentations at national and international meetings and through publications in a number of recognized medical journals.