The Healthy KIDS Weight Management Program
Weight Management for Children and Teens
The Healthy KIDS Program at NYU Winthrop Hospital combines nutritional guidance, physical exercise and behavior modification to facilitate successful and sustainable lifestyle changes for overweight children, adolescents and their families.
For overweight children, there are significant health risks including type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, gall stones, breathing and sleep disorders, orthopedic difficulties, and emotional challenges. They are also at a higher risk of developing life-threatening conditions such as heart disease and stroke.
A Self Directed Approach
The goal of this unique children’s weight management program is to provide children and their families with a self-directed approach to healthy eating and exercise that can be incorporated into daily life.
- Teaches children and their families strategies for creating meal plans with healthy food options
- Encourages increased physical activity and offers ways to incorporate exercise into daily life
- Identifies and helps children manage feelings about weight and body image
- Improves self-esteem
- Enhances communication skills
A Multidisciplinary Team
The Healthy KIDS team has extensive experience and expertise in working with children and their families to achieve a healthy lifestyle through proper nutrition and physical activity.
The team includes:
- Board-certified pediatric endocrinologists
- Nurses with advanced training in pediatric endocrinology
- Registered dietitian
- Social workers
- Clinical exercise physiologists
Before beginning participation in the Healthy KIDS program, each child is evaluated by a pediatric endocrinologist to screen for complications of obesity and to determine eligibility for participation.
Once admitted into the program, children and their families receive a broad range of services to provide the most successful outcomes.
- Counseling and nutrition evaluations by a Registered Dietitian
- Individual and age-appropriate group counseling session
- Meal planning instruction
- Individualized exercise programs
- Opportunities to explore feelings and behaviors associated with weight and body image
- Private family sessions with a nutritionist can be arranged
- Follow-up sessions offered for a full year following participation