Gynecology and Obstetrics
Winthrop's Division of General Obstetrics and Gynecology is a regional leader in state-of-the-art preventive, diagnostic and treatment services for women of all ages on Long Island. Equally important, Winthrop excels in advanced research studies and clinical trials and outstanding medical education.
As a teaching hospital, Winthrop’s gynecology and obstetrics division attracts extremely qualified medical students from across the country eager to experience the high caliber teaching, research and patient care that takes place daily at our institution.
Winthrop's highly skilled and experienced obstetricians and gynecologists, sub-specialists, specialized nurses, physician assistants and Maternal-Fetal Medicine fellows provide patients and their primary care physicians with a wide range of sophisticated services, including access to consistently outstanding patient care.
Award-Winning Gynecology and Obstetrics
U.S. News & World Report has recognized Winthrop-University Hospital as one of the “Best Regional Hospitals” with Gynecology as a high performing specialty in 2013, 2014 and 2016.
Healthgrades, a leading independent source of physician information and hospital quality ratings, named Winthrop-University Hospital a recipient of both the Women’s Health Excellence Award and 5-star recipient for Urogynecologic Surgeries and Procedures 2015. Healthgrades’ report found that women who undergo gynecologic surgery at five-star rated hospitals experience 35% fewer complications.
Services Provided by Winthrop’s Gynecologists & Obstetricians
General Obstetrics and Gynecology
Our OBGYN generalist gynecologists and obstetricians provide preventive and diagnostic care to women of all ages:
- Obstetrical Services – From pre-natal visits and ultrasound scans to labor and delivery in Winthrop’s New Life Center, Winthrop provides high-caliber specialized services
- Gynecological Services – Low-risk obstetrical care, well-woman preventive exams, adolescent gynecology, benign gynecological surgery, menopause care, colposcopy, LEEP and Cryotherapy, Family planning and contraception, transvaginal and abdominal ultrasound, color Doppler sonography, advanced laparoscopic surgery and hysteroscopic surgery, gynecologic oncology consultation service
Winthrop's board certified obstetricians specialize in high-risk pregnancy care and provide a comprehensive program for the assessment and care of the high-risk mother and fetus. Consultation and fetal testing are available for:
- Mothers with diabetes, hypertension, and other condition that may adversely affect the pregnancy outcome.
- At-risk fetuses for or with conditions such as chromosomal abnormalities, congenital anomalies, growth restriction, fetal anemia
- Women with a history of Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes
Our highly skilled board-certified physicians offer women specialized care for cervical and ovarian cancers
Urogynecology and Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery
Urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse are common and embarrassing medical problems that affect millions of women of all ages. Our board-certified specialists provide advanced diagnostics and effective treatments for these common problems.
Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
Winthrop’s expert reproductive endocrinologists help women and their partners understand the many causes of infertility or any medical conditions that may be adversely affecting your pregnancy attempts.
Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery
Our gynecologic surgeons are skilled in minimally invasive techniques that provide many benefits for patients such as: smaller incisions or vaginal incisions, less trauma, faster recovery and speedier return to normal activities. Minimally invasive procedures include robotic, laparoscopic, vaginal and mini-laparotomy surgery.
Winthrop-University Hospital offers the only Fetal Surgery program on Long Island. Fetal surgery involves a wide range of surgical techniques used to treat birth defects in fetuses prior to childbirth.