NYU Winthrop's Gastroenterology Center of Long Island
NYU Winthrop Hospital’s Institute for Digestive Disorders is a leading gastroenterology center on Long Island, NY with comprehensive resources for helping patients suffering from digestive and nutritional problems.
The Institute’s experienced gastroenterology specialists use the latest technologies to accurately diagnose, manage and treat the digestive and nutritional conditions that affect the esophagus, stomach, small intestines, colon and rectum, as well as the liver and pancreas.
Collaboration of Gastroenterology Specialists
Dedicated gastroenterology specialists and researchers investigate new and emerging methods for the screening and prevention of debilitating and life-threatening diseases of the digestive tract
The Institute’s dynamic collaboration of gastroenterology doctors and clinicians creates an aggressive, full-throttle approach to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of digestive disorders and nutritional problems.
Top Rated Gastroenterology Center
The latest U.S. News & World Report has named NYU Winthrop Hospital as one of the best hospitals in the New York Metropolitan region for 2017-18, ranking for 14 high performing types of care, which includes Gastroenterology.
TheMcCann Endoscopy Center is just one of the many reasons our institute is acclaimed. The reputation of our endoscopy specialists has steadily grown resulting in an increased demand for our advanced diagnostic services.
The McCann Endoscopy Center features:
- Six procedure rooms
- 13 recovery stations
- 2-bed prep and recovery area exclusively for children
- Nursing station for our patients
- Patient changing and locker room
- Patient/family waiting area.
The combination of state-of-the-art facilities and expert gastroenterology doctors and technicians results in the highest level of care for our patients. Throughout the diagnosis and treatment process, we treat patients with compassion and ensure their questions, concerns and fears are addressed.
Gastroenterology Doctors Meet Your Needs
At the hub of our institute are skilled gastroenterology specialists and researchers with specific areas of expertise in gastroenterology, hepatology and nutrition. Our full services include:
- Colon cancer screening
- Diagnosis and staging of gastrointestinal malignancies such as esophageal, pancreatic and stomach cancer
- Treatment of irritable bowel syndrome
- Diagnosis and treatment of rectal bleeding, peptic ulcer disease, abdominal pain, gallbladder or gallstone problems, and heartburn or reflux
Long Island’s Gastroenterology Specialists
The institute’s gastroenterology specialists provide a continuum of care at our comprehensive hospital facilities and at the private practices of our affiliated medical staff. Our staff of Long Island gastroenterologists includes:
- Bhawna Halwan, MD, Director, Center of Gastrointestinal Motility
- Raluca Vrabie, MD, Director, Center for Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Peter Malet, MD, Director, Center for Liver Diseases
- James Grendell, MD, Director, Center for Pancreatic Diseases; Chief, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition
- Stavros N. Stavropoulos, MD, Director, Program for Advanced GI Endoscopy (P.A.G.E.)
- David Friedel, MC, Associate Director, Endoscopy, P.A.G.E
- Patrick Saitta, MD, Interventional GI Attending, P.A.G.E
- Rani Modayil, MD, Interventional GI Attending, P.A.G.E