Diabetes During Pregnancy
Diabetes in pregnancy is a complication that is expertly handled by Winthrop-University Hospital’s Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine on Long Island. Winthrop-University is a New York State Regional Perinatal Center—a prestigious designation that recognizes Winthrop’s commitment to delivering the highest level of obstetrical and perinatal care. One of the many outstanding perinatal services we offer is the detection and treatment of diabetes in pregnancy.
We understand that coping with diabetes and pregnancy all at once is not an easy thing to do. Our staff is here for you and your family’s needs and concerns. Winthrop’s team of experienced, professional perinatologists and nurses work hard to give you the best care and most up-to-date treatment for your diabetes. Controlling your diabetes will result in a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.
Winthrop’s Diabetes and Pregnancy Program
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes in pregnancy, your pregnancy will be considered high risk and will be treated as a special case requiring extra attention. Our Maternal Fetal Medicine Division, a group created solely to treat high-risk patients, will provide you with some or all of these services:
- High-risk pregnancy evaluation and consultation service
- Availability of 24-hour, high-risk specialist
- First trimester nuchal translucency and biochemical screening for genetic abnormalities
- Amniocentesis, chronic villous sampling (CVS), fetal blood sampling
- Comprehensive and targeted obstetrical ultrasound
- High-resolution 3D and 4D obstetrical ultrasound
- Genetic sonography
- Fetal echocardiography
- Genetic Counseling Services
- Adverse Pregnancy Outcome Evaluation and Prevention Service
- Cervical ultrasound surveillance
- Fetal Surgery and therapy
- Maternal and fetal doppler studies
- Antenatal testing (nonstress testing and biophysical profile testing)
- Diabetic Education
Our diabetes in pregnancy team consists of the following staff members:
- Nursing staff – gives an overview of diabetes and shows you how to use a glucose meter to monitor your blood sugars.
- Certified Diabetic Nutritionist – meets with you to devise a comprehensive personalized diet plan and helps revise that plan as needed during the pregnancy.
- Perinatologist – discusses what you can expect during your pregnancy and how diabetes can affect both you and your baby.
- Maternal Fetal Specialists – handle any other services that you and your baby might need to ensure a healthy pregnancy and delivery.
Diabetes Education Program
Serving adults with diabetes, as well as their family members, the Diabetes Education Center offers a comprehensive diabetes self-management Core Program which includes:
- Refresher Course
- Individualized Programs
- Nutritional Education and Meal Planning
- “Dining Out with Diabetes” Series and Cooking Courses
- Insulin Therapy Instruction
- Insulin Pump Training
- Gestational Diabetes Education Program
Everything we do here at Winthrop comes down to one goal—to ensure you have a healthy pregnancy and a happy, healthy baby.