Healthy KIDS Program
A comprehensive weight management program for children & teens
Obesity in children is rapidly reaching epidemic proportions, with approximately 17 percent of children and adolescents overweight.
Overweight children and teens - like overweight adults - are at significant risk for many serious health problems, including Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, gall stones, breathing and sleep disorders, orthopedic difficulties, and serious emotional problems stemming from devastating social discrimination. In addition, overweight children have a 70 percent chance of becoming overweight adults, who are at even greater risk for such life-threatening conditions as heart disease, high blood pressure and stroke.
The Healthy KIDS Program is more than a weight-loss program. It combines nutritional guidance, physical exercise and behavior modification to facilitate successful and sustainable life style changes for overweight children, adolescents and their families.
Using a self-directed approach, restrictive diets or very low-calorie diets are avoided. No more than a one-pound loss per week is recommended. The program:
- Teaches children, teens and their parents to modify meal plans without depriving them of food choices
- Incorporates physical activities into daily lives
- Identifies and helps children and teens identify and deal with feelings about their weight and body image
- Improves self-esteem
- Enhances communication skills
Parental involvement in the program is imperative. In addition to learning how to improve parenting and communication skills, they are taught how to support their child's weight-loss and health enhancement efforts by improving family eating habits and activity patterns.
With expertise in children's weight problems, the most current information about obesity and nutrition, and a deep understanding of how difficult it is to lose weight, the Healthy KIDS Program Team includes:
- Board-certified pediatric endocrinologists
- Nurses with advanced training in pediatric endocrinology
- Certified registered dietitians
- Certified Shapedown instructors
- Evaluations by a pediatric endocrinologist and specially trained nurse
- Counseling and nutritional evaluations by a certified registered dietitian
- Individual and age-appropriate group counseling sessions to foster group cohesiveness and successful outcomes
- Meal planning instruction
- Individualized exercise programs
- Opportunities to explore feelings and issues about weight and body image
Group, Individual & Follow-up Sessions
For more information about the Healthy KIDS Program, call: 516-663-3919.
- Group sessions -- for children, teens and parents -- are formatted into a 10-week series. Each weekly session, conducted by a certified instructor, lasts 2.5 hours. Attendance by a parent is mandatory. Prior to beginning participation in group sessions, the family is evaluated by a pediatric endocrinologist to screen for complications of obesity, as well as for psychological problems that may contraindicate the patient's involvement in a group program. Medical clearance to attend the program and perform physical exercise is required, as is a consent signed by a parent. Before and after participation, the youngster receives nutritional assessments from a registered dietitian.
Gaming activities and effective weight management techniques, including nutritional guidance, exercise and behavior modification strategies create a communal and supportive "learning-is-fun" environment that provides a forum for participants to manage their weight and build healthier lives.
- Individual Sessions are presented in 12-weekly segments. Each session, also conducted by a certified instructor, lasts one hour. These meetings offer the same combination of nutritional guidance, exercise and behavior modification strategies as the group sessions.
- Follow-up Sessions are offered for a full year following participation in either group or individual sessions.
120 Mineola Boulevard
Mineola, NY 11501