Child Life Services and Support
Areas serviced by child life:
- General Pediatric floor & Pediatric intensive care unit (PICU)
- (Monday-Friday 8a-7p & Saturday & Sunday 8a-4p)
- CCFK (Monday-Friday 8:30a-4:30p)
- Pediatric Specialty Center (Wednesday-Friday 8:30a-4:30p)
- ER (Monday 3p-11p, Tuesday & Wednesday 11a-11p Thursday & Friday 9a-11p and Saturday 10a-6p)
- We are also on call for: Endoscopy suite, ASU, Adult floors, NICU, Nuclear medicine, Dialysis etc.
Medical play, preparation and education:
Child Life utilizes a variety of teaching tools to allow the children a safe venue to express frustrations, fears, and other emotions. These tools allow us to properly assess each individual patient and tailor each intervention accordingly.
Provide coping/distraction techniques:
Child Life aims to promote the use of:
- Coping strategies
- Choices enhance child�s sense of control
- Procedural support
- Distraction and guided imagery
- Non-pharmacological pain management
- Comfort items
- Parental presence
- EMLA use
- Positioning for Comfort
Throughout the most difficult times, the child life team provides emotional support to the entire family unit.
This class is geared towards educating siblings on arrival of their new baby brother or sister. This class is offered two times per month and requires pre registration through Winthrop�s Welcome Center.
School Re-entry program:
This program is offered through our Out-patient Hematology/oncology Cancer Center for kids. It is a comprehensive program which incorporates a Child Life Specialist in conjunction with other team members to ease the transition from the hospital back into school.
We offer a variety of support groups through our Out-patient Hematology/oncology Cancer Center for Kids. These groups help to facilitate a sense of normalcy for patients and their entire family unit.
Other Child Life services offered:
- Magician Visits
- Education services
- Horticultural Therapy
- Art Therapy
- Clown visits
- Special Visitors (professional athletes, etc.)
- Holiday Visitors
- Local volunteer groups (arts and crafts activities)
- Astronomy program
- Birthday celebrations
- Culturally diverse holiday celebrations
- Character Visits
- Coffee clutches for parents
- Community Fairs (educate local children on hospital safety and medical play)
- In-services for all new employees and trainees