The New Life Center
The New Life Center at Winthrop-University Hospital opened as the Hospital began its second century of service to the community.
The $12 million, 15,000 sq. ft., state-of-the-art facility offers family-focused maternity care, a home-like birth experience within the safety of a hospital environment, and, most important, the intense dedication to human care and compassion that has become our hallmark.
The New Life Center has 16 modern, attractive, home-like Labor/Delivery/ Recovery (LDR) Suites, as well as:
The CARE-GIVING TEAM, which consists of highly skilled maternal/child care specialists with advanced training and certification in obstetrics, lactation and newborn care, includes:
- Special monitoring rooms and programs for high-risk patients
- Separate areas for Cesarean section mothers
- A newborn nursery
- The latest technology
- Family/sibling waiting areas
- Access to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), one of the most advanced facilities of its kind staffed with specially trained experts in newborn medicine who care for babies born prematurely or with health problems requiring special attention.
Patient and family-centered care is an approach to the planning, delivery, and evaluation of health care that is grounded in mutually beneficial partnerships among health care providers, patients, and families. It redefines the relationships in health care. Patient- and family-centered practitioners recognize the vital role that families play in ensuring the health and well-being of infants, children, adolescents, and family members of all ages. They acknowledge that emotional, social, and developmental support are integral components of health care. They promote the health and well-being of individuals and families and restore dignity and control to them. Patient- and family-centered care is an approach to health care that shapes policies, programs, facility design, and staff day-to-day interactions. It leads to better health outcomes and wiser allocation of resources, and greater patient and family satisfaction. Expecting a baby is not just for mothers. At Winthrop, Family Centered Care is designed to help your entire family begin adjusting to a whole new life. Our Family Centered Care is based upon the belief that every family is unique, with individual needs and wants.
- Registered Nurses and Nurse Practitioners with advanced training in maternal/child care
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialists (Perinatologists or high-risk obstetricians)
- Certified Nurse Midwives
For more information call:
Women's Health Services
at Winthrop-University Hospital