Infectious Disease Fellowship Program Brief
Infectious Disease Fellowship Training Program Overview
- The goal of the Infectious Disease fellowship program is to optimally prepare our fellows for clinical/academic positions.
- Our Infectious Disease fellows have a varied and intense clinical experience with extensive one-on-one teaching.
- Hospital Epidemiology & Infection Control are an important aspect of the program.
- Outpatient infectious disease training is centered in our ambulatory office facility. In addition to general adult infectious diseases consultation, we have a International Travel Clinic.
- In addition to our HIV inpatient/outpatient experience, rotations in Pediatric Infectious Disease, Medical Microbiology and Transplant Infections are part of the Infectious Disease training program.
- An integral part of the Infectious Disease training program is clinical research.
- Winthrop-University Hospital’s Infectious Disease Fellowship is an ACG ME accredited 2-year training program that combines clinical experience and clinical research.
Infectious Disease Fellowship Training Program Strengths
- First Infectious Disease Fellowship Training Program on Long Island (since 1980).
- National reputation for clinical and teaching excellence in infectious disease.
- The Infectious Disease fellowship program consists of a broad based clinical infectious disease experience in medical/surgical intensive care units, the medical inpatient service, Emergency Department, Surgical and OB/GYN Services.
- Extensive clinical exposure also includes surgical infectious disease (including neurosurgical and TCV related infections) tropical infections, infections in compromised hosts and transplant infections.
- High publication rate by Infectious Disease Fellows.
- Infectious Disease fellows actively participate in Quality Assurance activities, Hospital Epidemiology and Infection Control as well as medical student/house staff teaching.
- The Infectious Disease Faculty is committed to teaching and mentoring Infectious Disease fellows.