GME : Application Procedures
All residents who are selected into residency programs are required to meet the eligibility and selection requirements in accordance with the Essentials of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. Winthrop-University Hospital (WUH) does not discriminate with regard to sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Applicants for residency are considered eligible for appointment to an ACGME-accredited residency program if they meet the following qualifications:
Residents who have completed their basic residency and are applicants for residency in subspecialty programs shall be graduates of ACGME-accredited programs.
- Graduates of medical schools in the United States and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)
- Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the United States accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- Graduates of medical schools outside the United States and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications:
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates or
- Have a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a U.S. licensing jurisdiction
- Graduates of medical schools outside the United States who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school
- A U.S. citizen, permanent resident or a person with a visa with authorization to train in the U.S. during the term of the appointment.
Please Note: New York State Department of Health regulations limit non-LCME accredited international medical school graduates from participating in New York State residency programs if their training has included more than 12 weeks of clinical clerkships outside of the country in which the medical school is located unless the NYS Education Department has approved the school. A current list of the approved medical schools can be found at the NYSED website:
The Program Director, in concert with his/her Selection Committee, is responsible for selecting from among eligible applicants on the basis of their preparedness, ability, academic credentials, communication skills, personal qualities such as motivation and integrity and professionalism. Each Program Director has program-specific policies which provide greater specificity to the above criteria. The Program Director and Selection Committee review all applications, select candidates for interviews, and determine candidates to be listed on the NRMP rank list, or candidates to be offered contracts independent of the match, when this option is allowed.
Candidates for initial residency positions at Winthrop-University Hospital are to apply through ERAS. Applicants to Winthrop's fellowship programs should contact the appropriate program director for further information and application forms. The program directors are listed by address, phone and fax numbers and email address at the conclusion of each program description.
The Program Director/Office of Academic Affairs is responsible for verification of applicants' credentials. Primary verification of all credentials is required.
The following documentation, at a minimum, is required for a residency program at Winthrop-University Hospital:
- Certification of graduation from any accredited medical school or ECFMG certified medical institution. This documentation must originate from the academic institution granting the degree and have the proper seal of the institution.
- Letters of recommendation.
- Documentation accounting for any lapses between the end of medical school and the present.
- Proper documentation of employment and/or work performed since graduation from medical school.
- USMLE or COMLEX board scores demonstrating successful completion.
DISCLOSURE OF TERMS
Applicants to Winthrop-University Hospital's GME training programs have full access to contractual terms and eligibility requirements, as well as information on specific benefits. Please contact the Office of Academic Affairs for any further information.