Contact Us / Sitemap / Directions / Patients and Visitors / Career Opportunities / Medical Staff
pay your hospital bill pay your doctor's bill paying for your care
Winthrop University Hospital

Children and Anesthesia

There is no doubt that when a child is having a procedure that requires anesthesia the parents and frequently the child become anxious. At Winthrop-University Hospital the members of the Department of Anesthesia are skilled in the care and management of the pediatric patient requiring an anesthetic.

What Type of Anesthesia Will My Child Receive?
The vast majority of children requiring a surgical or diagnostic procedure requiring an anesthesiologist will either receive General Anesthesia or Monitored Anesthesia Care. Occasionally a regional anesthetic is utilized.

Will My Child Receive a Pre-op Medication?
As more procedures are done on a out-patient basis the use of pre-operative medications have been reduced. A parent is being allowed to accompany their awake child into the operating room if the anesthesiologist feels it will reduce the child�s anxiety level. The anesthesiologist may feel that your child will benefit from a pre-anesthetic sedative. Oral Versed� is most frequently used.

How Will My Child Fall Asleep?
Induction (going from an awake state to sleep) is accomplished in two ways. Younger children who do not have an intravenous in place will breathe anesthetic gas until they fall asleep. An intravenous will then be placed after the child is asleep. Older children, or children with an existing intravenous will go off to sleep via the intravenous. To lessen the pain of starting the intravenous, a cream that numbs the skin is usually used.

When Can I See My Child?
In most cases you will be able to visit your child in the Post Anesthesia Care Unit once the child is awake and the nurses are comfortable with the child�s level of recovery from anesthesia.

Will My Child Be in Pain After Surgery?
Depending on your child�s age and type of procedure your child�s anesthesiologist may discuss with you options available to lessen your child�s post-operative pain. These option may include nerve blocks, caudal/epidural/spinal analgesia or Patient Controlled Analgesia (P.C.A.)

If my child gets P.C.A can I push the button that will administer the medication to my child?
Absolutely NOT! Inherent in the safety of P.C.A. is that the patient must control the delivery of medication. If your child is unable to push the button for himself, then alternate methods of pain control should be used.

To contact us:
Phone: 516-663-2216

Contact Us / Sitemap / Directions / Career Opportunities / Financial Assistance / Policies
Winthrop-University Hospital
259 First Street | Mineola NY 11501 | 516-663-0333

This site provides information as a resource. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice.
Always consult a physician or healthcare provider for treatment and guidance toward good health.
Copyright © 2015 Winthrop-University Hospital. All rights reserved.
Web site by: Long Island Web Design