Da Vinci Robotic Surgery and Surgical System
A leader in robotic surgery, NYU Winthrop Hospital on Long Island, NY is pleased to offer patients Long Island’s first da Vinci Si HD Robotic Surgical System. This state-of-the-art surgical robot integrates 3-D high definition (HD) endoscopy and advanced robotic technology to virtually extend the surgeon’s eyes and hands into the surgical field. Da Vinci consists of an ergonomically designed surgeon’s console, a patient-side cart with interactive robotic arms, the high-performance InSite® Vision System and proprietary EndoWrist® Instruments.
The EndoWrist Instruments are tiny wristed instruments that bend and rotate far greater than the human wrist. Powered by cutting edge robotic technology, the surgeon’s hand movements are scaled, filtered and seamlessly translated into precise movements.
What Makes Da Vinci Robotic Surgery Better Than Traditional Surgery?
Minimally invasive da Vinci robotic surgery uses the latest in surgical and robotics technologies. da Vinci is beneficial for performing both routine and complex surgery. Your surgeon is 100% in control of the da Vinci System, which translates his or her hand movements into smaller, more precise movements of tiny instruments inside your body. The da Vinci System literally exceeds the limits of the human hand.
With the da Vinci System, surgeons are able to operate through just a few small incisions with enhanced vision, precision, dexterity and control. Compared with open surgery, da Vinci can offer the following benefits:
- Shorter hospital stay
- Less blood loss
- Fewer transfusions
- Fewer complications
- Faster recovery
- Less need for narcotic pain medicine
- Smaller incisions for minimal scarring
Physicians worldwide have successfully performed approximately 1.5 million da Vinci procedures to date. All of the top 50 cancer, urology and gynecology hospitals ranked by U.S. News and World Report 2013 use da Vinci Robotic Surgical Systems. Da Vinci robotic surgery is drastically changing the surgical experience for people around the world.
Which Surgeries Can Be Performed with the Da Vinci Robotic Surgical System?
Specialty procedures being performed with the da Vinci surgical robot include:
- Gynecologic oncology surgery – da Vinci robotic surgery can be the most effective, least invasive surgical option for complex gynecologic procedures.
- Hysterectomy – da Vinci offers the number one minimally invasive surgical option for hysterectomy in the U.S.
- Sacrocolpopexy - to repair vaginal and uterine prolapse
- Gastric bypass surgery – da Vinci offers a low rate of complications and low rates of wound infections compared to traditional approaches.
- Prostatectomy – the da Vinci system is used in 4 out of 5 radical prostatectomies in the U.S.
- Colon resection – da Vinci offers precise removal of cancerous tissue and a quick return of bowel function.
- General abdominal surgery – the da Vinci system makes a few small incisions, as opposed to a large abdominal incision used in contemporary surgeries.