Consulting Process and Department Policies
1. A downloadable request form must be completed before the first meeting. Please provide any relevant materials at this time protocol, draft study design, manuscripts, etc.
2. An initial consultation appointment will be scheduled with a Biostatistician and the primary investigator/requestor shortly after your request is received.
3. For medical students, residents, and fellows, the primary investigator/mentor/advisor is required to attend the initial consultation meeting.
4. During the initial meeting, the biostatistician will provide you with a time-frame for your project based on the complexity of the work and their current work load. This estimated time-frame may change once the project is started due to unanticipated data issues or additional complexities. We will keep you updated if the estimated time frame changes significantly.
1. We do not charge an hourly consulting fee. Our department is supported by the hospital to provide high-quality biostatistical support to all Winthrop investigators.
2. Given the important role of biostatistics in the research process, we are usually working on many diverse and complex projects simultaneously. Therefore all consultation requests must be made with enough time before submission deadlines to ensure sufficient support.
3. Grants: To provide sufficient support for your application and hence a higher likelihood of funding, we require at least 4 weeks prior to any grant submission deadline. Depending on the nature of the grant application, the biostatistician should be listed as co-PI or co-Investigator and sufficient FTE of the biostatistician involved should be put in the budget.
4. Manuscripts, posters, abstracts: If the biostatistician was a collaborator in a project - involved in the planning and study design, and/or performed substantive analyses and interpretation of data, co-authorship should always be granted. For abstracts requiring preliminary data analysis only, we require at least 1 week for the analysis. For manuscripts requiring analysis, interpretation of results, and methods sections, we require at least 4 weeks.
5. Protocols: The biostatistician should be listed on the protocol to facilitate the IRB review process.