ACS Level 1 Trauma Center
In February 2016, Winthrop-University’s Trauma Center was verified as an adult Level 1 Trauma Center – the highest rating a trauma center can receive. This verification was earned by meeting the stringent criteria established by the American College of Surgeons for a Level 1 Trauma Center.
What Does a Level 1 ACS Verification Mean?
A Level I Trauma Center is a comprehensive regional resource that is a tertiary care facility central to the trauma system. A Level I Trauma Center is capable of providing total care for every aspect of injury – from prevention through rehabilitation.
*Elements of Level I Trauma Centers Include:
- 24-hour in-house coverage by general surgeons, and prompt availability of care in specialties such as orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, anesthesiology, emergency medicine, radiology, internal medicine, plastic surgery, oral and maxillofacial, pediatric and critical care.
- Referral resource for communities in nearby regions.
- Provides leadership in prevention, public education to surrounding communities.
- Provides continuing education of the trauma team members.
- Incorporates a comprehensive quality assessment program.
- Operates an organized teaching and research effort to help direct new innovations in trauma care.
- Program for substance abuse screening and patient intervention.
- Meets minimum requirement for annual volume of severely injured patients.
*Source: American Trauma Society